oops...I did it again.

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I have spent all the money that I have on CD's again. Walking and listening to my ipod is my only elixir right now, so I need my fix. Got to stay up on the times.

Music I am enjoying and would love to recommend:

Frida Hyvönen- 60's style Scandinavian pop. Plays piano, kinda repetitious like, but great harmonies and very cute and quirky lyrics. Not in a novelty way. In a 'I like the way you talk' way.

Joseph Arthur- I know I said this already, but honestly I am so in love with him right now. I literally listened to the song 'Tattoo' 9 times in a row this morning as I got ready. That doesn't even include how many times I listened to it yesterday, and how much I have listened to the two records I have over and over again this past week. He is one of the first to do the looping guitar thing. That's not usually my thing, but he does it so beautifully, and the songs are so honest. So good. God, I'm so in love with him. I want to buy all of his albums and become a collector.

Feist 'The Reminder'- I listened to her first album a few times and thought it was okay. A little too mellow for me. A few months back I heard a song from this new album and had a feeling that I would really like it. I do. It's fucking awesome. I love her voice, I love Broken Social Scene, but this album rocks my world. There's a guest appearance by Jamie Lidell, instrumentation is stellar, and the whole thing is produced so well. I can't even pick a favorite song right now because it's so great.

Bright Eyes 'Cassadaga'- I haven't always been a fan of Bright Eyes. Sometimes he gets a little too sad and pathetic for me, his voice was originally too whiny. I really loved his last two albums though, and Cassadaga continues to pull me in. This album is far more positive than his previous stuff, and the whole record is more open, with new types of arrangements and his exquisite lyrics (always something you can count on).

Björk 'Volta'- I love Björk. This album is another freakishly bizarre and beautiful display of her artistry. Earth Intruders has one of the most amazing and nasty beats I have ever heard. The track with Antony is heartbreaking, I think it's 'I See Who You Are'...could be wrong. His voice tears me apart with just a whisper, and the combination of her power and sweetness with his pain, is extraordinary.

Leonard Cohen 'Songs of Love and Hate'- Famous Blue Raincoat has always been one of my favorite songs, but I never have owned it on CD before. Now I do. I almost broke down in tears yesterday on the subway just READING the lyrics to Avalanche. The words flow so beautifully before they are even 'sung'.

Red House Painters 'Rollercoaster'- One of the saddest bands EVER. I bought this record for nostalgia, as I used to have a crush on this boy that played piano at this cafe that I frequented and also played at in So. Cal called Cafe Lolo's. He became one of my good friends, though I always had and probably always will have a crush on him. That's what happens when you don't consummate feelings.
Anyway, we hadn't had contact with each other in a few years and then he found me on the interweb. My heart jumped around like a schoolgirl. Silly. Oh well. I bought this record to reminisce, and I am.

I'm seeing Arcade Fire tomorrow night. God damn am I holding on to that like it's my last breath.

Matty G and I had a good rehearsal last night. Meredith, most likely, will not be playing with us much, or at all anymore. She is doing adult things like buying houses and getting her masters. Wonder what that's like? We are looking for new assassins to fill in, though we rock a lot just the two of us.

I want to embed some videos on my myspace page that some nice people have put up on youtube. I'm slightly retarded on the matter, so if someone has ideas, let me know.

ok.

xoxoxox

sarah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home