I lied and said I’d give updates.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

At least I have been lying until now.

Here you go……

Well, things started off great. Matt and I went into the studio a few weeks ago to track basics for The Album, just piano and drums. We were attempting to track 14 songs in a weekend; it seemed virtually impossible when I thought about it. To prep for this, as I mentioned, Peter and I did pre-production to discuss what all the songs needed, and what they didn’t. After it was decided what would or wouldn’t be happening when and where, Matt and I started rehearsing with click tracks on songs that we were thinking of putting bass on, maybe even a dreaded guitar part or two.

*sidenote* someone once told me the only thing that my songs needed were guitar licks. I told them to go fuck themselves. I am not opposed to guitar, in fact there are shitloads of bands that I love that only have guitar, but I am typically a fan of experimental guitar. Not making a guitar sound like a guitar, and not masturbating all over the fucking instrument. It’s not a cock. Really. Stop playing it like that.

Anyway, we went in the studio and Matty G was really quite sick, and I was a little worried. But Matty G is a trooper, a professional trooper, and he played through his sniffles and tried to suppress his coughing fits until the piano stopped resonating. What a pal.

While Matty was banging away and holding it all down, my arms were falling off at this 6’ Yamaha with the toughest action known to man, and Peter was in the control room making up fake lyrics to my songs and telling Matt to play his hi-hat like ‘suck it, suck it, suck it’. Things were going surprisingly well, and we managed to track all 14 songs with time to spare. Now it’s time to edit and sing and string and slide and sing more and organ-ize, and a bunch of other bullshit. This always takes such a long time.

On another note, I was in the San Francisco area over the weekend and I absolutely lo-o-o-o-o-o-o-ve it there. I don’t know if it’s because my bestest friend lives there or what, but I was so happy to be there. I actually bought clothing items after trying to for weeks. One of the things I absolutely hate about Boston is that I can never find anything here; I have to shop in other cities. We have limited vintage stores, and boutiques are usually really expensive. It would be a lot easier if I could bring myself to buy things in chain stores, but I just have a hard time doing that. I like to make everything really difficult.

And the produce and food in SF is unreal, it makes everyday an amazing day. I miss my best friend. I miss the big skies. I miss nice people. I mean I love these nasty east coasters, and I am one…most of the time. But sometimes it’s really nice when someone says hello to you, and you look at each other in the eye, and you don’t turn away before you get close. It can change a day sometimes. Not make you feel a thousand miles from your family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home