Open letter to the person that stole our Rumble money, you sh&t s*#k

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Dear Sir or Madame

I'm sorry that you have a drug problem and that times are tight. We all are struggling, I know. I also understand that these break-ins that you do are usually done at random and with no ill intentions in mind. You just need to not be sick, and the people whose houses you rummage through are the equivalent of the ground beef in your hamburger. No face, satisfies your craving, and simply delicious. I am no different from the person you hit last week, or the person you get tomorrow, nor do I expect to be.

The problem I have, sir or madame, is that you took something that meant more to me than personal property or some petty cash, you took away a reward I was given for years and years of schlepping my gear from club to club and making no money. It doesn't sound like a big deal, but let me just throw this out there....

I am a musician. I'm not trying to be Britney Spears, I don't want to be on American Idol, I don't do this with the intention of being a famous superstar that makes lots of dough. I do this because I love it, I'm good at it, and I can't ever imagine giving it up for anything. I work my ass off trying to be a better singer and songwriter, while also trying to function as a business by booking shows, recording albums, and promoting my music, all at my own expense and all while trying to maintain my regular job during the day. You may ask why I would bother to continue this nonsensical cycle if I have no intention of making money at this? The thing is, I hope to one day. I just don't think it will come easily.

In fact, very recently my band put out a record. While it hasn't sold even 1000 copies yet, some people have started to take notice of us, even if it's only in a small capacity so far. Every little bit counts, right? We love our record, and were very happy when some radio stations started to play some songs off of it. One of the radio stations was even here in the Boston area, and it's called WBCN. To our surprise, WBCN even asked us to be in the 31st annual Rumble this year. You probably don't know about this, but it's like a battle of the bands and can help you reach more fans. Some famous bands have been in it like the Lemonheads, Til Tuesday, and Morphine. We were psyched. I had never expected us to win the thing, but my personal goal was to get to the semi-finals because a) we'd get to play the Middle East Down b) I just wanted to make it past the first round and c) you actually get paid well, for once.

Well guess what?! We did make it to the semi-finals, and we did play the Mid East Down, and we did get paid $750 to do it. $750! It was more money than we'd ever been paid for a gig. Yes, that's probably sad after doing this for 7 or so years, but who cares?! We did it!



Ohhhhh, wait. You actually know we made that much money, because you busted into my house when we weren't there. You stripped off one of my pillowcases and tried to fill it with jewelry. Ooops! There wasn't any because I'm a fucking musician that doesn't make any money. So then you went into our basement and stole my housemates' Mac Book Pro 17" A1211 laptop serial # W87200R2W0G, and his Fender Jaguar Brown Bari Guitar serial # Q080350, and before you left you noticed the money that was left on the table. The money that had been taken out of my bag so that I wouldn't lose it, so I could come home and go to my business account and deposit it. So it would show I made a profit. So it would show that I'm trying to do it right. The money I will be taxed on because I legitimately won it, you cocksucker. I hadn't even paid my band mate his share. The band mate who plays his fucking ass off all the time for no money, who carries his gear, who weathers the storm, whose consolation for all this was his share of the money we won in the Rumble, you motherfucking dick suck fuckhead.
The laptop and the guitar will be covered my insurance (hopefully), but our hard-earned money, the only significant money we have ever made in our lifetimes as musicians, was taken to fuel your fucking drug habit, you piece of shit ass-cunt. You suck. Fuck off and shit on yourself.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh god, for real? I'm so sorry. Ugh. I hate when people suck.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Ryan Spaulding said...

Very sorry to hear about this Sarah.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home