CD Release. News. And Lack of Nutrition

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Last night we had our first rehearsal with the string trio for the CD Release party. It was fantastic. Not only do I love these women, but they’re so very talented, and so beautiful that they light up the room. I love hearing them talk about all their string-y things, bowings, and favorite keys. Ooohhhhh it’s so great. They’re amazing.
After about the 2nd or 3rd song I began to wonder if anyone would come see us again if we didn’t have the trio? Once you go extreme beauty, can you go back? I wish I could travel with them always. I wish they could be the soundtrack to my life.

So far reviews have been very kind about the CD. It didn’t start that way. People seemed to respect it, but didn’t like it. Performing Songwriter picked the disc as one of the top 12 DIY discs in their current issue. They’re also offering a download of “Man Child”
My dad asked what DIY meant. I told him Do It Yourself. He thought I was mad at him.
As I’ve begrudgingly grown up a bit I’ve learned that people connecting to the music is far more important to me than people being impressed by it. Ideally it’s one in the same, but if I had to choose, I want people to connect.

I had an awesome week last week where we got lots of compliments and reviews on the record, and people were saying great things about the album and playing it on the radio. I was feeling really secure and great, and then Matt and I had a practice that night and it totally blew. We both played like crap. That was a wake up call. Much needed.

So, back to this CD Release party. It’s at The Lizard Lounge on January 23rd. All the bands are fantastic. There’s Wakey!Wakey! from NY. He’s a one-man piano powerhouse that writes wonderful songs and also does a fucking awesome cover of Girls Just Want To Have Fun by The Lauper. It will break your heart. Then there’s Goli, who are probably my favorite band in Boston. It’s midi marimba and cello, and touching, humorous songs about love and life and kissing. Valerie Thompson, one of the cellists on our record, is in Goli, and she will also be playing in our string trio. Then there’s us, with the string trio and other special guests, like Scott Dakota on guitar. Closing the night is the rock of the party MEandJoanCollins. They have boy/girl naughty songs that you can dance to and will bring the party to this party. It will be a great evening. The Lizard is small though, so I would suggest advanced tickets. http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/52839 Especially since we kept the advance ticket price so wee at $8. You will not find better entertainment anywhere in Boston that night.

On the recommendation note, I am totally in love with the writer Haruki Murakami. I read The Wind Up Bird Chronicle last year; it became an instant favorite, and felt the need to read something else of his. I picked up Kafka on the Shore at the bookstore last week. His writing is magical. He incorporates Japanese history with everyday life, psychology, and lucid dreams. I don’t know much about Anime, but I feel like reading these books would be like watching Anime. Many of the main characters feel like outsiders though there’s nothing terribly different about them on the outside. So so great.
I also recommend watching Happy Go Lucky. I’m not sure if this is still in theatres, but this movie, more than any movie I’ve seen this year (I haven’t seen many, but still), has stayed with me and I find myself constantly revisiting it in my head. It’s like meeting someone you think is kind of pale and flighty, getting to know them, and realizing that they are an amazing creature filled with heart and depth.

I am in desperate need of making a stop at the record store but cash is tight, but who knows. I might forfeit nutrition for some music.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home